Thursday, February 9, 2012

I am a tubie "Feeding tube awareness week"


You see the white button on my belly? That's my g-tube button. Mammy hooks a tube on to it and then the food goes straight into my belly. I got it a few years ago as I wasn't gaining weight and I didn't like my seizure meds and kinda would spit them out. Mind you Mammy tried everything to keep me eating like most people but because of my seizures I wasn't able to swallow and would suck most of what went in to my mouth down in to my lungs and then I would sound all junky and she would have to give me more meds to get rid of the junk in my chest so I wouldn't get really sick. At first when I got my tubie I only got my meds and one feed over night in it but as time went on and they started me on the Keto diet they said it would be safe if I got all my feeds straight into my belly. The Keto diet is high in fats and it would make me very sick if that got into my lungs. Mind you I have sucked a bit down the wrong pipe when I would throw up.
Mind you plenty of people gave off to my Mammy when she said I was getting my tube. They thought she was taking the easy way out but I had to have surgery and that is not fun. But when you are supposed to get say 5mls of meds to help stop my seizures and I spit out some of it cause it was yucky was she to guess how much I spit out and give me more? She couldn't do that so it would be much better to put them straight into my belly. Well I didn't get to taste the yuck meds any more so I liked it.
You know Mammy was more afraid of my feeding pump than me getting the g-tube. She was afraid she would mess it up and maybe give me too much.
Mammy says getting me my feeding tube was one of the best things she did for me and you know she is right.
Sín é

No comments:

Post a Comment